Note: We originally ran this in January. But after today’s HR by Nick Swisher, it appears as though John Sterling still does not have a call prepared for the new Yankees outfielder. So let’s keep voting below. We’ll give the results to our guy at YES to give to Sterling.
Don’t look now, but Spring Training is less than a month away. And with the additions of pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, as well as big bats Mark Teixeira and Nick Swisher (yeah, we added Swish to the list), this season is promising to be one of the most exciting in recent New York baseball memory. But while most fans are getting geared up to see the new Yanks don the prestigious pinstripes, we’re actually more excited to hear from Yankees famed radio announcer John Sterling this season.
Year after year, our favorite part of a new baseball season is hearing Sterling’s homerun calls for the newest Bombers. Sans Johnny Damon’s “demonic” call, we always get a hoot out of his creativity. As we approach the 2009 campaign, The Max takes a look at what Sterling’s calls for the new Yankees bats might be. Let us know which ones you like and we’ll pass it along to the YES guys (to hopefully pass it along to Sterling):
- It’s just not fair-a, Mark Teixeira!
- It’s Tex Time for the Bombers
- Texual healing, oh baby! (a play off Marvin Gaye’s song, Sexual Healing)
- Mark sends a Tex message
- Tex is on the Mark
- Mark it down!
- How dare ya, Mark Teixeira
- Teixeira tattoos one
- Tex connects!
Which homerun call do you like best for Mark Teixeira?
- Swish goes boom!
- Nick the Stick goes deep
- Swish gets sweet
- Nick is quick to the punch
How about Nick Swisher?
Or maybe you don’t like any of these options. That’s ok. Just leave your recommendations below.
Here’s the newest set of questions that have been occupying our every
thought. Let us know if you’re thinking what we’re thinking.
- Did you really expect the Yankees to go 162-0? Let’s just settle for 160-2 and move on.
- Why is it big news that Terrell Owens reported to late to Bills voluntary workouts? It would be bigger news if he reported on time, don’t you think?
- Do you find Kimberly Jones and Bob Lorenz‘s blogs as refreshing as we do? More baseball personalities should do this.
- France’s anti-doping agency claims Lance Armstrong broke its rules. Do you care? We sure as heck don’t. Go away, Lance.
- Shouldn’t we all take it easy on Joba Chamberlain (regarding his comments, not the whole DUI thing)? We’ve all said stupid things in the past. Heck, The Max posts stupid things on this blog all the time. It doesn’t mean we don’t love Yogi.
- After one inning in Texas today, Carl Pavano gave up five earned runs. Maybe we should be happy that he rarely pitched for the Yankees, right? No, we’re not bitter.
- As we write this, Mark Teixeira just went yard. OK Baltimore, you now have a reason to boo him. (So that wasn’t in the form of a question. What is this, jeopardy?)
The entire online baseball community is talking about Mark Teixeira being introduced as the newest New York Yankee today. Many of these sites will feature video from the press conference, but none of them will dust of this classic. It’s dated, but well worth the view:
And for some videos of Teixeria in a Yankees uniform, check out YES’ YouTube.
We’ve somehow made it to another Friday, which means The Max is here to help you be as unproductive at work as possible. Here are some great links that will help you waste away your work day:
Did you know the New York Mets were almost called the New York Bees? It’s true. Check out Mental Floss for a full list of team names that almost were.
The Sports Hernia takes a look at athletic brothers and their notable accomplishments. We’re not sure if it was intentional (it so was), but our favorite part was when they referred to Venus and Serena Williams as brothers. The Sports Hernia…
Buffalo Bills QB J.P. Losman caught on camera getting cozy with a young lady. Sports Crunch…
Peter Abraham does a great job breaking down how the CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett signings came to be. Check it out at LoHud.
Did David Wright and Erin Andrews cuddle up for the cameras? Deadspin…
Julia (of Julia’s Rants fame) is certainly looking at the no Tex in Boston situation with great optimism. Julia…
YouTube Video of Week
Zack Morris practically lived at The Max. But you never really saw Mr. Belding there, until now. Here he is singing karaoke with Brooke Hogan of all people.